22 janv. 2014
Our route and log
· Good start at the Racing Committee boat, near the front of fleet, stayed in top fourth of the fleet down the Bay. Chessie Racing took off.
· Sailed out of Severn beating out to Bay, changed genoa #1 to 89 m2 spin at Thomas Pt. Wind died to 6 kn, so we moved up to 110 m2 spin.
· 1700h: Wind began to build again & changed to code 0. Could not make mark, back to #1, steady 10-13k wind, top speed about 10k. Going well, had cassoulet for dinner
· 2130h: Passed Pt Lookout
· 2320h: Good night sail down Bay, saw 2 shooting stars.
· 0600h: Good SE wind. Changed to code 0 good boat speed 10-14.4k
· 1230h: Took down code 0 for 89 m2 as wind moved behind & stopped oscillating until Norfolk. Winds 15k, put in flat reef & #3, speed 8k
· Good sail down Bay,
· 1630h: Off watch, 1200-1800h made cold cut lunch & had good nap…on our way to gulf current. Will prepare chicken rice/soup for dinner
· 1800h: exited Bridge-Tunnel. Winds clocked from N, NE, E, SE; used #1, code 0, 89 m2, #3 out of Bay. Hit speeds of over 14k surfing,
· 2200h: Left watch with #3 & flat reef.
· 2300h: Good wind all night, quite a ride through Gulfstream blowing 20+, 25+.
· 2400h w/ 25+ winds , chop 10+ ft put in 1st big reef. Changed to #4.
· WOW! Worst conditions with NE winds 25k+, produced rough chop of 10+ft against Gulfstream. Santiago drove us through like a veteran.
· Three crew seasick, Paul not available, Jaffar not active, Chad some, but on deck. Four of us worked the Gulfstream for quite a ride. Big reef & crew handled all well under adverse conditions, everyone tired. We are very wet, many waves came over the deck as is the cabin from water entering, the Gulfstream is incredibly warm, like bath water, cloths hanging to dry. Saw porpoise swimming alongside boat, flying fish & phosphorescence in wake of boat, some Saragasso Sea weed.
· 1300h: Took down #1 when we changed course & used 89 2m spin, speed 8-1-k. 45h25m into race. Ocean is swelling, no big waves to speak of. On rhumb line to Bermuda. Found ourselves N of rhumb line during Gulfstream, tacking to avoid storm-like squalls. Paul still sick, Jaffar OK.
· We have been sailing S of rhumb line to pick up Jenifer Clark’s favorable eddies. Some other boats sailed S as well & some back to rhumb line before us. Eddies: 1) 34N-72W 2) 32N-67W
· Quiet night, during 2200-0200h shift, wind & speed were 0 at times, picked up around 0130h;
· 0200h Wind shifting to W & picking up to 7-9k, speed 6k. Beautiful night, incredible stars & Milky Way. We have pulled out on 2 port boats
· 1000h: 0600-1200 watch had 7.5-9.5 winds & speed5.5-7 w/ 110 m2 spin. Looking for favorable eddies by sailing S of rhumb line.
· 1715h: Lt winds all afternoon, 3-8k, still using 110 m2 going upwind…flapping…Off watch 1200-1800h. viewed some competitors during day. Water an incredible deep blue/purple color, so clear. Today, Monday has been hottest day, Santiago in bare feet stumped toe & swelled up, gave him some pills & he slept it off. Heavy, humidity hanging over water.
· Battery Problems: Ship house battery does not charge properly, an alternator bolt came loose & threw belt, not charging. Used make-shift bolt to hold. Charging went much better & engine did not need to run as long.
· 0230h: very light winds since Mon; changed to #1 genoa as spin was flopping all around, now with the #1 we are making some speed, 1-1.5k. Still within sight of 2 competitors, 0200-0600 shift
· 0600h: Good to finally have some wind again. After limping along for 12h we finally get some wind around 0400. We made more distance in last 2h than last 12h, sails were slapping all night.
· 1000h: beautiful summer day. Winds lightened some
· 1500h: Another windless day, drifting trying to chase some wind to Bermuda, Picked up around 1600h & we have been ailing @ 5-8k. 240 nm to Bermuda. 2-12h days of no wind in last 2 days really lost us time. Crew is doing fine & appreciate meals. Threw away some food, ice in small chest has melted.
· 1930h: On our way N or rhumb line for eddy to propel us. Saw a fair number of dolphins swim around the bow, 5-6 of them, took some pics.
· 0000h: Finally on a rhumb line to Bermuda. Chessie R & Sjambok already finished, never got the highs with no wind. Going along OK, 6-7.5k in 8-10 winds, an incredible sail tonight by the stars to keep course, Many shooting stars 2200-0200 watch, winds 9-11k speeds 7.5+. What a great way to live
· 1000h: Some a.m. threatening clouds, but no rain or squalls. 132nm to N. Rocks
· 1245h: Wind picked up & moved S, put up code 0 wind 8-11k, then 11-14k boat speeds 7.5-8.5k
· 1600h: Wind has built all aft to 20+k, changed to 89 2m to 110 2m, back to 89 2m Competition to star has broached a couple of times. We are doing well on lay-line to Ber. 100nm to go
· 2200h: WOW what fun driving this boat under spin, high winds & high boat speed. Another beautiful night & 24h of great sailing. Reports from home has us 1st in class, we all have been driving hard & making good sial ch knowing how well we think we are doing.
· 0440h20: FINISH What a wild finish with high winds & passing Silver Bullet for position when they took down spin. They caught us when they put it back up but, could not pass us at the FINISH. 1st in class to finish. Early boats following rhumb line did good, others later got an unfavorable current. Would certainly sail again.
This site was last updated 12/29/13